Date: April 24, 2018 (Tuesday)
Time: 12:20pm – 2:00pm
Welcome to the 3rd Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2018.
CHI has been a trailblazer in its commitment towards Diversity and Inclusion through efforts such as the CHI Women’s Breakfast, gender-neutral restrooms, and establishing ‘CHI Diversity and Inclusion Statement’ to name a few. We share, we listen, and we grow together in strength and spirit as a community. Honoring this legacy, the Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2018 is intended as a social-peer platform to:
- Celebrate the achievements of this diverse community,
- Discuss issues that thwart innovation by impeding inclusion, and
- Collaborate on strategies to empower those who have been marginalized.
- Lunch menu with several options (including vegetarians)
- $15 for students / $30 for others
- Only 480 seats available
We welcome all CHI 2018 attendees to join us for the lunch by registering during the registration for the conference: https://chi2018.acm.org/attending/registration/
Please note: During past CHI, this event was ‘Sold Out’. So, we encourage confirming your attendance by registering early. If you have already registered for CHI 2018, you can go back and add the event later.
What is the lunch about?
- Discussion in small table groups on topics concerning diversity issues
- Speaker-sparks will be shared by Diversity Champion Recognition winners.. Each will share a quick story and then ask a question for table groups to discuss.
- Participants can be students, researchers, academics, and industry professionals at any stage of their career.
- Issues discussed during the lunch include but are not limited to race, ethnicity and culture; age and professional experience; gender identity and sexual orientation; (dis)ability and impairments; religious beliefs; work-life-balance and needs of parents.
CHI 2018 Diversity Champions Recognition
The CHI 2018 Diversity Champions Recognition will be presented to individuals to acknowledge their efforts to promote diversity and inclusion within the field of human-computer interaction. This recognition celebrates and honors individuals for their innovative and committed efforts towards social equity through affirmative action in their respective professions. All nominees must demonstrate a strong dedication to social equity initiatives, regularly advocate for the full inclusion of people of marginalized identities, and continually strive to innovate effective methods to bring diversity to HCI as a field and its community of researchers, educators, and practitioners.
- You may self-nominate yourself or nominate someone else or someone may choose to nominate you. Nominations close on March 17, 2018.
- A panel of jury members will review all received nominations, consult and discuss about nominees, and finalize three recipients of this special recognition. Jury decision will be announced through official CHI 2018 channels of communication on April 1, 2018.
- Recognition will be presented to the recipients at the CHI 2018 Diversity and Inclusion Lunch on April 24, 2018. Diversity Champions will also be invited to address the audience at the lunch by sharing a short speech on Diversity and Inclusion related themes.
Please submit your nominations here – https://goo.gl/forms/bODCnXjoaZl19tDP2
Diversity & Inclusion Lunch Chairs, CHI 2018
Anke Brock, ENAC – University Toulouse
Allison Druin, Pratt Institute
Nitesh Goyal, Google
Gopinaath Kannabiran, Indiana University, Bloomington