Date: April 24, 2018 (Tuesday)
Time: 12:20pm – 2:00pm
Welcome to the 3rd Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2018.
CHI has been a trailblazer in its commitment towards Diversity and Inclusion through efforts such as the CHI Women’s Breakfast, gender-neutral restrooms, and establishing ‘CHI Diversity and Inclusion Statement’ to name a few. We share, we listen, and we grow together in strength and spirit as a community. Honoring this legacy, the Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2018 is intended as a social-peer platform to:
- Celebrate the achievements of this diverse community,
- Discuss issues that thwart innovation by impeding inclusion, and
- Collaborate on strategies to empower those who have been marginalized.
- Lunch menu with several options (including vegetarians)
- $15 for students / $30 for others
- Only 480 seats available
We welcome all CHI 2018 attendees to join us for the lunch by registering during the registration for the conference: https://chi2018.acm.org/attending/registration/
Please note: During past CHI, this event was ‘Sold Out’. So, we encourage confirming your attendance by registering early. If you have already registered for CHI 2018, you can go back and add the event later.
What is the lunch about?
- Discussion in small table groups on topics concerning diversity issues
- Speaker-sparks will be shared by Diversity Champion Recognition winners.. Each will share a quick story and then ask a question for table groups to discuss.
- Participants can be students, researchers, academics, and industry professionals at any stage of their career.
- Issues discussed during the lunch include but are not limited to race, ethnicity and culture; age and professional experience; gender identity and sexual orientation; (dis)ability and impairments; religious beliefs; work-life-balance and needs of parents.
CHI 2018 Diversity Champions Recognition
The CHI 2018 Diversity Champion Recognition is presented to individuals to acknowledge their efforts to promote diversity and inclusion within the field of human-computer interaction. This recognition celebrates and honors individuals for their innovative and committed efforts towards social equity through affirmative action in their respective professions under four categories.
- Trailblazer – Recognizes individuals who have made innovative and groundbreaking efforts to counter unjust social practices, foster equitable communities, and effectively promote values of diversity and inclusion through their work.
- Strong Ally – Recognizes individuals who have leveraged their professional expertise and institutional privilege to be a reliable ally and strategic partner advocating for the rights and full inclusion of people of marginalized identities.
- Star Mentor – Recognizes individuals who have been an empowering mentor to persons from underrepresented communities and resourceful guide contributing towards the welfare of politically disadvantaged groups.
- Emerging Voice – Recognizes individuals who are actively building support networks to facilitate communal discussion and resource mobilization for diversity and inclusion issues.
Based on nominations received and jury deliberation, the CHI 2018 Diversity Champions Recognition will be presented to the following individuals at this year’s Diversity & Inclusion Lunch.
Trailblazer – Shaowen Bardzell, Indiana University, USA
Strong Ally – Elizabeth Mynatt, Georgia Tech, USA
Star Mentor – Eunice Sari, UX Indonesia, Indonesia
Emerging Voice – David Nemer, University of Kentucky, USA
We look forward to meeting you at the 3rd Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2018.
Diversity & Inclusion Lunch Chairs, CHI 2018
Anke Brock, ENAC – University Toulouse
Allison Druin, Pratt Institute
Nitesh Goyal, Google
Gopinaath Kannabiran, Indiana University, Bloomington
Special thanks to our jury members:
Jofish Kaye, Mozilla
Ebtisam Alabdulqader, Open Lab, Newcastle University